Originally Posted by shootsaswede
I know many of you have a backup rifle or "loaner" so to speak. I was just wondering what classifies as a loaner. In your minds is it a pawn shop special that you came upon that shoots, or just an older less desireable action type you have on hand? Does you loaner have a less expensive scope? I happened into a second rifle that is a stock rifle with a very inexpensive scope and it is the first time I have had a 'Loaner" for myself if my primary rifle went south. So let me know what you think about your "loaners, and shoul I upgrade the scope!

A backup rifle to me should be the equal of the rifle I am using with the likely difference that my main rifles tend to be stainless and backups are often older blued weapons.

Depending on the situation, a loaner could be any of my rifles. I have loaned a Model 70, Commercial and Military 98's, a Model 88 Winchester, Model 99 Savage, Mossberg 880, Remington 600, etc. My kids are grown and have their own so some of the rifles they used as they grew are still used as loaners to younger shooters.

I wouldn't loan out a rifle I didn't trust or that wasn't reasonably accurate. The loaners do tend to have older scopes. As I get new scopes I move them around. I try to get the borrower out for a sight in session and a familiarization outing if I can.

I would suggest you test any cheap scope for fogging, tracking and so forth. Even then for a big game rifle I would swap it out for a Leupold or similar. I might put one on a .22 but not much else.

I would upgrade the scope. About the most inexpensive scope I trust is a K-4 Weaver.I have several low end Leupolds I bought used. I would recommend that for economy use. The 2x7's are usually priced pretty well.