Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: Good post!

When up and moving I tend to carry a rifle in my left hand, under the floor plate. I like rifles that sit there "neutral" and muzzle or butt tilt has me searching for the middle...so I like rifles with the weight evenly distributed between my hands.

Rifles like that seem to "point" more like a shotgun and the grouse guns I grew up with(very fast). I know some folks like a bit of muzzle tilt and I concede to that for some...but mostly I like a more neutral feel. I don't find these difficult to shoot at all.

I like a 22" barrel in standard cartridges like a 270, 280,7x57, 7/08,30/06,etc etc;and I like a light contour barrel, either FW or krieger #1. For stocks I've liked and used in no particular order, Brown Precision,Bansner,and McMillan Edge.

I used to stretch this concept into the 7 mag arena but by the time I get to a 7mm magnum I want a bit more stock(at least fuller dimensions) and my "new" favorite is the Echols Legend for anything 7 Rem Mag and up. I would not use an Edge in anything above a 7mm magnum. IMO you need more weight in a 300 magnum both to cut recoil ,offset a heavier barrel contour,and cut stock resonance in a rifle lighting a big fire.

I am slowly changing my mind when it comes to a 30/06 in a FW package...used to be fine with a light Brown but will likely use an Echols Legend on my present pre 64 FW....a light 30/06 can gin up a fair amount of recoil with full loads and the Legend mitigates recoil.

In 338 I'll take standard fill,and weight of 8-8.5 pounds scoped.I like a 23" barrel....ditto a 375 H&H where I like about a #4 contour and 23" is perfect to me but I can live with the 25" barrels of the pre 64's in 375 and 338,and an Echols Legend, standard fill.

I like any stock color so long as it's black, grey or brown...compared to a nice piece of French any synthetic is less than attractive, so I don't go crazy. I do like the colors on my Mashburn, though, which is a black/brown mix.

Great post, lots of very good points there. Turns out we are pretty much in agreement on what works, so you must be right!