Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks buddy. You are just saying that because you want my more original 338 Alaskan... Don't worry, it's yours. laugh I believe you shot the old 30-06 off a sand bag and got a .17" group. That rifle is a people pleaser for sure... I remember it just sank into the bags and it was steady like a rock. I found it hard to not shoot good groups with that thing...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It was cold that day and your rifle never skipped a beat.

I'd like to add EricM's 1951 std. to the list: "ideal old 70 hunting rifle". I built this one to be a shooter and it definitely does that. It's also well balanced. I pillar/glass bedded the action in tight and freefloated the original barrel. It took work freefloating the barrel since it has the dog knot (sight boss). I also omitted the forend screw and made a dummy screw to go in the hole so the rifle still appears somewhat original (besides the stock being from a newer(1962) rifle). I was always very happy with this model 70 and consider it a damn good build and a damn good hunting rifle. It's also a sleeper, so if you see Eric with it and he wants to shoot for money, don't do it!!!.. laugh
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/007-6.jpg[/img]

Badass man! cool

This thread is now reaching epic status. Tons of good info here!! I'm anxious to compare the pre-64 338 Alaskan's recoil to my BRNO 602 375 H&H.

Eric