Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Hypothetically, what could one accomplish with a .300 Win that one could not with a .30-06.

Say a featherweight in a McMillan Edge?

My philosophy about magnums is not light bullets screaming fast. It is about heavy bullets fast enough. But you have to be willing to haul around enough barrel length to take advantage of the case capacity. I love my .300, but a .30-06 FWT would be a damn fine rifle.

Good posts guys. Let us remember Phil Shoemaker really likes the 30-06 stuffed with 200-220 gr. nosler partitions. That speaks volumes on the capabilities of the old war horse.. Give me a nicely stocked fwt over a big heavy kicking 300 win mag any day of the week and twice on sunday...BTDT and ain't going back.. Here's what MR. Shoemaker had to say:

Originally Posted by 458Win
I am loading up box of 30-06 with 220 Partitions and another with 220 Woodleighs and plan on using one or the other during this spring's bear season in my 30-06 as my back-up piece.
In the past, in test media the 220 partitions from my 30-06 penetrate virtually identical to 300 gr partitons from the 375 H&H.

I have killed as many bears with my 30-06 and 200 partitons as I have with the various 375's and while the 375's sometimes (? !) seem to put them down a little faster - the difference is not much, nor as evident, as most people suspect.

I am not suggesting that the 30-06 is an equal to my 458 as a backup rifle - because it certainly is not - but when used by someone who can shoot it the 30-06 with today's best bullets is a perfectly suitable rifle for use on big bears.

I'd also pick a good well balanced 9.3x62mm over the 300 win mag. "Different strokes for different folks"....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA