Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: Good post!

When up and moving I tend to carry a rifle in my left hand, under the floor plate. I like rifles that sit there "neutral" and muzzle or butt tilt has me searching for the middle...so I like rifles with the weight evenly distributed between my hands.

Rifles like that seem to "point" more like a shotgun and the grouse guns I grew up with(very fast). I know some folks like a bit of muzzle tilt and I concede to that for some...but mostly I like a more neutral feel. I don't find these difficult to shoot at all.

I like a 22" barrel in standard cartridges like a 270, 280,7x57, 7/08,30/06,etc etc;and I like a light contour barrel, either FW or krieger #1. For stocks I've liked and used in no particular order, Brown Precision,Bansner,and McMillan Edge.

I used to stretch this concept into the 7 mag arena but by the time I get to a 7mm magnum I want a bit more stock(at least fuller dimensions) and my "new" favorite is the Echols Legend for anything 7 Rem Mag and up. I would not use an Edge in anything above a 7mm magnum. IMO you need more weight in a 300 magnum both to cut recoil ,offset a heavier barrel contour,and cut stock resonance in a rifle lighting a big fire.

I am slowly changing my mind when it comes to a 30/06 in a FW package...used to be fine with a light Brown but will likely use an Echols Legend on my present pre 64 FW....a light 30/06 can gin up a fair amount of recoil with full loads and the Legend mitigates recoil.

In 338 I'll take standard fill,and weight of 8-8.5 pounds scoped.I like a 23" barrel....ditto a 375 H&H where I like about a #4 contour and 23" is perfect to me but I can live with the 25" barrels of the pre 64's in 375 and 338,and an Echols Legend, standard fill.

I like any stock color so long as it's black, grey or brown...compared to a nice piece of French any synthetic is less than attractive, so I don't go crazy. I do like the colors on my Mashburn, though, which is a black/brown mix.

Great post, lots of very good points there. Turns out we are pretty much in agreement on what works, so you must be right!

Bob's always right. At least everything I've read from him makes sense to me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA