"Cal is starting to sound a little fishy to me. Is he they type that invites guys up, and then gets them to pay for everything (food, fuel, etc), and does this fake "guiding" to get free fly out hunts every year? Perhaps the troopers should investigate his ass."

Calvin:
Where did you get the notion others pay for my hunting trips? Being the optimist I will speculate you made an assumption that is incorrect. Bing a writer takes me into contact with many around the nation and the world. I've published five books. Two are out of print. They sell well in the very small world of double rifles but, trust me, sales are far behind those of Palin. Troopers have dropped in on my camp before and they are gentlemen and I've had no problems with them nor they with me. As to hunting with friends, allow me to put it in perspective. In the last four years seven gents have come hunting with me--both from Alaska and from the Lower 48. A few more than that number have flown up to visit one of the double rifle shoots. Some rent a car and hotel in the city and a few stay at my home. The folks I've become acquainted with have become friends. I've hunted Australia three times and Africa 14. Many times I stay with friends while there and they stay at my home when here. Some are Americans who I shared a hunting camp with overseas. But when they come here they pay their own way and I pay mine. Again I have no clue where you got the idea I was guiding for a free trip. If it was an assumption that was in error, I hope I cleared things up. If it was to change the focus of the original intent of this thread, well, it was a noble effort. Perhaps your are good friends with Bob and Mike?

"Yeah, all he's doing is "talking" about his hunt. We talk about our hunts all the time and I've never seen anybody on here being accused of illegal activity.

The guy writes articles and books for money, and is obviously a huge self promoter of his blog. The guys who buy his books get invited up for a guided, but not guided caribou hunt, as "friends"? Yeah, nothing fishy going on there. Do you think that a person promoting a book, website, or articles by taking guys he met off the internet hunting and providing a place for them to stay is profiting off Alaskan fish and game and be licensed to do so?

BTW, the "friend" thing gets used here in SE frequently. Troopers have been chasing around "friend" guides and have made a few cases in my area. This is nothing new. And I'm not talking about guys who have legitimate friends who come up. That's fine."

Calvin:
Promotion, either self or otherwise is not a bad thing. It costs nothing to view my website and I've just started putting videos on there of my double rifle experiences. Again, no charge--I just like begin involved in the double rifle world as it is my passion. Yes, I sell a few books but it is a very limited audience I am targeting. And again, I profit nothing from any time folks have visited me and the friends who have come up remain so. In closing, Calvin, don't get wound too tight over incorrect speculation. In turn, my original post was not speculation but documented and witnessed fact. Should you be in the area in late May, please stop by and join us for a double rifle shoot. Where can one see 20-30 of the finest firearms on earth in one place, calibers from .300 up to .600, and on to the mighty 4-bore? And, shoot them, too. In the interim, enjoy my site and the rifles and trophies shown.

Let me add one more thing so you don't continue to think I am a "guide" who gets hunts for free. The the last four years I've taken a few caribou (with a .450-400) and one moose (with a .600). In 1988-91 I shot a few caribou and two moose, and in 2003-4 one caribou and one grizzly (.450 no2). I don't hunt much in Alaska. Just once in a while for something to do with a double rifle.

Anyway, I hope I cleared the air a bit as to my activities. My "ass" is not worried about any investigation.
Cheers, mate.
Cal