Forbes 24b in 280 AI, with swarovski scope on top of it. Weight is 5.5 pounds for rifle, 14.5 oz for scope. I went light because I hike in steep and deep, average 8-12 miles daily. Somedays I have covered more than 15 miles. I think 18+ is a personal best but I spread that over 21 hours.

I hunt public land so I have to go further, faster, and be more nimble than the plethora of other hunters. Seems like every year more and more guys are willing to go further back in. Last season I got my elk 6+ miles from a road. It took me, 2 other guys, and a horse a total of 25 hours to get him out of the woods. Sanity of elk hunting was a frequent topic of conversation during the ordeal.

As for advice on your "rig" I generally say to focus on your personal fitness first, then rifle accuracy, followed closely by optics quality, and minimize weight on all of your components. Your chosen rifle (rem 700) will work well. 8 pounds is the middle ground. I hunt with a very fit buddy who carries a browning BAR with Burris eliminator 3 on it. His rig easily tips the scales at 10 pounds.

He is able to get through it, or suffer through it because he is physically able to endure it. Mid 30's, and I bet his rig changes as he ages.

Its important to be able to make the shot count, but there are many solutions to that equation. The one thing that will remain constant no matter what rifle/bow/muzzleloader you are using is YOU. And nothing substitutes real world knowledge of your hunting area. If you don't have the time to acquire this personally- it might be time to evaluate hiring someone (guide) with that knowledge.

There are plenty of people who luck into an occasional elk, but the guys who fill their freezers year after year usually have been hunting in the same area for years. Knowing the behavior of hunted and pressured elk can play into a distinct advantage.

Good luck- I promise you one thing for sure- elk hunting is one heck of an adventure! Worth the sacrifice, and elk steak tastes even better when you earn it the hard way.