Originally Posted by slm9s
Took my first elk with a custom 270wby Mark V. Accurate, but heavy SOB, sold.

Then came an ULA 7RM, perfect but sold.
Then came a custom 700 in 7STW and a T3 superlite in 30-06. I have a little higher mag scopes than most, as we can only shoot 3 point or better bulls. And in the NW we have lots of rain/fog so seeing whether its a 2 or 3 pt 300 yards away is tough. I have a Z6i 2-12 on the stw and Z5 3.5-18 on the 30-06.

I'd call my terrain "foothills", but it sure as hell ain't flat. smile I walk between 4-7 miles on an average day.

My first elk taken was with an Oneida Eagle bow with custom limbs at 80 lbs.

My first rifle bull was with a Japan 270 WBY with a 24 inch light barrel. Still have that great gun. Went a while with a front heavy 26 in. Mod 700 stainless 300 RUM which was very accurate with 150 or 180 Scriccos. It took a big bull and some nice whitetails and a 32 in muley, but the long barrel made me let it go. Stalking while holding it low with fingers around the scope and between the muzzle was always getting into mud, snow, logs, brush or rocks and even with electricians tape it was a PITA.

I guess now it would be the lightweight Nosler custom in 270 wsm or Matthew Drenaline dropped down to 62 lbs or Thompson Center Hawken.

Id like to take a cow through the lungs some time with my 243 pre64 ftw.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/28/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.