I have one rule that I always try to follow, and that is ( hunt up & not down ). I've packed two out of hell holes and really don't want to do it again. Two years ago I lost 10 lbs. after spending the better part of 3 days getting my bull dressed, deboned and packed out. Last year I had help and a much shorter pack ( downhill ) & we got it done in a little over half a day. These packs and many others were all done between 10,000' and 12,000'. I wouldn't change a thing with any of these experiences, that's elk hunting and I love it.
All of our hunts are DIY on public land.
Used to do allot more walking,3 to 10 miles a day, & have killed probably 75% of my bulls in the dark timber. My favorite rifle for that is a first gen.Rem. Ti. in 30/06 with a few lightening tweaks, Talley lightweights, Weaver fixed 4.75 power Grand Slam & Black Ice coated. 150 gr. TSX'S are it's preferred load and it weighs an even 6 lbs.
All but one of my rifles come in at 7 lb. 3 oz. or lighter & that includes a lightweight long range rig in 300 RUM. The heavy one is a 338 RUM built for long range.
Like Mule Deer mentioned, I like to give them all a try, after all , that's why we have them.
During the last 5 years or so I've found that by watching the far side of a canyon and covering an 800 yd. wide hill side with shots in the 500-700 yd. range, vs a small meadow somewhere during late afternoon, that my odds have been improved.
I don't take shooting that far for granted and spend allot of time working on loads and shooting out to 1000 yds.
I use Barnes bullets in all of my elk rifles inc. TSX, TTSX & Long Range, they have always performed well.
Wear the best boots you can afford,travel light, stay in shape, know your rifle and it's ballistics inside out & don't give up.
By the way, I have hunted Grizzly canyon, that is truly a work out. Also a S&W 360-1 Scandium in 357 is always with me when packing meat out or exploring new areas. It has a 3" bbl.with laser grips and weighs 12 oz. empty, you don't even know it's there. It's not much fun to shoot often but that's not what I bought it for.
Just a few of my thoughts and opinions. Ron