I posted this awhile back on another forum asking a similar question. I have 3 rifles that would get the go for most elk situations. The heaviest weighs in at 8 lbs 9 oz all up and the lightest 7.5 lbs all up. I also use these rifles for the majority of my hunting situations. I usually walk between 5 to 10 miles a day, but spend most of my time looking through glass.

Originally Posted by "taylorce1"
I built three ideal elk rifles in the last two years in this quest. I think I accomplished three ideal rifles for different situations that's for sure.

First one is a M70 FWT Classic .30-06 in McMillan Hunters Edge Compact with 2.5-8X36 Vari-X III. This one has been launching just about any 165 grain bullets under an inch quite nicely for three rounds around 2900 fps.

[Linked Image]

Second is a M70 Classic .338-06 in McMillan Hunters Edge Compact with 2.5-8X36 VX3 B&C reticle. I haven't had a chance to work with this one like I should but 200 grain Hornady's are showing good accuracy and nearly 2900 fps. 180 grain AB's hit 3000+ fps.

[Linked Image]

Lastly a M70 EW .270 Win wearing a McMillan FWT Edge stock with 3.5-10X40 CDS VX3. 130 grain NBT's have been going under an inch at 3090 fps. I just picked up 500 of the LARB's to try in this rifle.

[Linked Image]