Used a 10lb M70 300Win M on the first one and a Chainsaw to get the truck in there to get him out. The second a M700 ss in 300 Win Mag with 180 NPT's same as the first. He came out 4 trips on a Camp Trails freighter frame. The next 2 were taken with 225 gr NPT's out of a M77RS in 35 Whelen. 6x on the first 2 and a Vx 3 2.5x8 on the last 2. Last elk tag didn't produce an elk carried my old M700 7mm Rem mag loaded with old 175 NPT's but you can't shoot them if they aren't there when you are. 3-5 miles a day with no where the elev most guys have described. Times have changed and so have access rules where I hunt,got the last 2 out in 1 piece by myself with some legal but hard use of a 4wd and chainsaw for cutting downed trees. If a guy can use his truck to get back in I allways have lots of rope and a comealong or 2 with the truck. I bought that Freighter frame in 1979 and it still works for me. Has packed a lot of deer and antelope where that is the way you have to do it. The Cabelas Alaskan appears to be a clone of it. Where you put the bullet is still more important than what you use to put in the elk. I went to the 35 Whelen and 225 gr NPT's for less meat loss and it works well at that. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 02/16/15.