Any good caliber from 26 to 338 will work if you put the time in shooting it. The thing about elk hunting and mileage is not so much how far you walk mileage wise but elevation covered. I cover about 3 to 5 miles a day from my pickup, but it is what is in those 3 to 5 miles that makes it uncomfortable for most people. And it is all fun and games smelling the pine needles and watching the birds and generally enjoying the outdoors. Until you pull the trigger and realize you have just filled your tag. You are pumped up and all excited until you reach the animal and start trying to wrestle it around to get it tied to a tree so it does not continue rolling further down the hill. At that time you begin to look around at where you are at, how far you are from your pickup, what time of day it is and most of all how fricking big this animal really is. But at the end of the day or days when you have it all loaded in your rig and headed home exhausted, sore, wanting a shower and a comfortable bed you realize that you would not trade it for anything in the world. That is why we elk hunt.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.