Originally Posted by cdb
I do not understand how a projectile can loose velocity.

It's quite simple really. Improperly assembled bullets require tweaking before use. Even match bullets are out of adjustment from the manufacturer.

One of the reloading/preloading checklist steps is to employ a bullet wrench. It tightens the bullet in preparation for loading, so that groups will be smaller. I believe that it has been discussed here before.

Top level competitors and some hunters utilize a number of specialty tools to produce top accuracy. They include:

Bullet wrenches
Powder filters (aka propellant grain uniformers)
Case lathes, bullet lathes (old school, hand lathe, new school - CNC)
Case neck torque wrench (aka brassing tool - uniforms neck tension)
pneumatic case neck neck straightener (aka bending tool)
magnetic primer alignment bath (magnets align the primer composition for uniform burning)
sonic cartridge shelf (aka shaker, used at the bench to uniform loaded cartridges)
Bullet Balm (aka bullet cream, vaporub - bullet jacket homogenizer)

There are others, but personally, I don't bother with the primer bath anymore. Primers are made much better than even ten years ago.

At one time, I used a cartridge refrigerator to keep the unfired cases at a specific temperature, but abandoned that idea because not all ranges had 110 plugs. A friend suggested a battery powered model, but it was too expensive!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]