Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
If I'm going bigger than a .260.... it's straight into the loving belt of the 7 Rem Mag. Any of the midsize 7s (SAUM,WSM, .280AI, Mash, Bee, x64, etc) are still the best big game rifles I can think of.... and the "160/.600/3k" box score is still where 'Long Range Hunting' rounds start for me.

.264 Win/SAUM/whatever can come close.... but it seems an aweful lot of fuss for 15-20% less payload downrange than the 162/168/180 7mm's.

To the OPs question....

Consistent 1-2 MOA 500 yard guns grow on trees, and rarely does caliber/head stamp have anything to do with hitting stuff at that range. I had a ball watching my mom and her friends beat steel out to 500 with my 20" .260 just last Saturday. Properly set-up, light recoiling rifles.... with good dope and reliable optics... will do a lot of work out to about 600.

On a long action... I'd probably go 23" 6.5/06, focus on the 123 Scenar/130 VLD in the 3050-3150 range. It'd recoil and kill like a .270 (which ain't a bad place to be).... but offer flatter trajectory and less drift across the board... though not a lot.

For a 1000 yard steel rig/700 yard hunting rifle.... I'd go 24" 7 Rem... or any of the above mentioned smaller/bigger brothers.

Good post right there! Absolutely spot on!!

X-VERMINATOR

That is a good post and good advice.

But, a Loony needs to be indulged... blush

Swamplord seems to be enjoying his 6.5 Pro and his other proprietary rounds. Some of us Loony types have thoroughly enjoyed working with the 26 Nosler.

And I don't disagree with anything stated by Dogshooter; he is spot on. But his wisdom may not be applicable for every adventuresome Loony soul. It doesn't have to make sense. In fact if it did, it probably wouldn't qualify as Loony.

DF