Originally Posted by Hancock27
I own a gun shop,
You buying on the internet and transferring through my shop doesn't pay the bills. If you enjoy going to a local gun shop and browsing, then going on line to buy that gun for $50 cheaper, please don't cry or complain when the local gun shop goes out of business.
Saving $50 or $100 then paying $35 - $50 for shipping and $25-50 for transfer is a way to show it's cheaper to buy from the shop, if the price is too high, negotiate it, son't say "I can get this on the 'net for $75 less!!" Try saying, "Would you take $__ CASH, right now?" And have the cash in your pocket!

We charge for FFL transfers, used to be free for military/LE but people took advantage of our good nature. They'd transfer a gun in, get the gun and walk out, never bought anything, never spent a dime in the store - that does not pay the bills.

2 of us are retired military and my partner's son is LE.

Dealer to dealer - preferred, Individual must provide proof of ID and some guys forget or aren't going to include a copy of driver's license, etc, FFL is a number and shows acquisition and disposition.
I will accept from an individual, BUT no ID I hold the gun until it's provided.

When I moved to AL, I had ordered a Montana 1999 barreled action while I was still overseas. Once it was ready, I had to find an FFL to ship it to. Walked into a gunshop, explained that I was brand new to the area, explained about the barrel action and wanted to know if I could transfer it there. He gave me the answer that since I didnt order it thru him, he wouldnt accept it. Tried to tell him that HE couldnt order it. He refused, because it didnt pay the bills for him.

You know how much money I spent in that shop in over 6 years? None

Found a local pawn shop that was full of gun guys, lots of new stuff in the rack. No hassle what so ever on transfers, ever. I got to know them by name and they knew me by name. Ordered quite a few guns thru them and bought a few used guns from them as well. They always let me know that they appreciated my business.

The shop that acts like the $25 transfer fee is easy money in their pocket and welcomes the business, will get me in the store buying stuff. Because, eventually, buying a new gun locally will be the same price when transfer fees and shipping are added in to an online purchase.

When its a used gun that isnt made anymore or just something that a local shop cant compete with, 25-30 bucks for a phone call and 10 minutes worth of paper work is better than 0 dollars.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!