I have always examined animals after I shoot them when I dress them to see how bullet or broad head performed. From squirrels to moose caribou I have shot.

I noticed deer that I shot with the amax died very quickly ( good thing) and the amax bullet did not explode as most would think even though I hit bone. So I started shooting the amax into cow and elk bones in front of wet phone books.

Penetration seemed good. So opted to use it for this cow elk hunt. You can see from pics the amax performed well and animal died a very quick humane death. The bullet did not explode when it hit the shoulder and rib bones and did exit far side of the animal. I am not advocating that amax are superior to partitions I posted this because the amax and other BT bullets I have taken game with worked quite well and they did not "explode" when they hit bones in the animal. Now based on my experience I would not use the Hornady SST on elk because of personal experience and examine deer I have killed with this bullet. Others may disagree.

If I drew a big bull rifle tag I would choose a partition over the amax any day.

Regarding broad head vs bullet. I know they act in completely different ways. We re told in the bow hunting community that you need an arrow approaching 300 FPS per second with expandable broadheads to kill and slow does not work . Well that is a myth too as a heavy arrow ( over 500 grns) with a good sharp COC broad head will easily penetrate well even if it is going a mere 170 to 180 FPS .

Last edited by ribka; 04/18/15.