I dislike head on or heavy quartering to shots and generally would not take them regardless of bullet or caliber. But that is just me

I guess all elk hunters should limit shots to 100 yds or less and be required to shoot at least a 338-378 weatherby

I'm a big boy not immune to criticism. i expected mostly negative input and some ( not a lot) of positive input when i decided to post. I posted this because after hunting over 40 years I felt like I needed to examine what I felt were possible misconceptions regarding bullets and larger game like elk.For years I always considered a big magnum was necessary to kill elk and big mule and whitetail deer.
I like to shoot a lot with my hunting rifles. Shooting a light weight magnum was becoming less enjoyable for range sessions.I discovered the 6.5's a few years ago and enjoy shooting them, their history and reloading for them. I found I could shoot regularly and quite accurately.After noticing the effectiveness on deer with amax's I thought about using them on a cow hunt. I knew where the cows came out each morning and knew I could set up before light for a relatively easy shot. (BTW I have shot 3 cow elk here in WA with unjacketed muzzle loader bullets. The law just changed recently allowing jacketed bullets. Yes I killed 2 of the three cow elk easily with solid lead heavy buffalo bullets. The third cow taken with Ml unjacket bullets was shot with unjacketed lighter powerbelt bullets. I did not like their performance so stopped using them)

Anyway cow came out into sage as expected and story over.

Last edited by ribka; 04/19/15.