Originally Posted by Wyogal
Hi Swift, oboy life changes. I'm a semi-retired RN, and have lived in WY for 24 yrs or so. If you have a certified specialty, especially in ICU, cardiac, ER, there's well paying jobs in WY.
Otherwise hospitals are cutting staff to the quick, and pay poorly with crappy hr/standby etc. We can thank Obamacare and cuts in medicare reimbursement, and unreimbused care for ER visits. Rural hospitals are financially hurting. So if you have a good job where you are, you may want to stay there for now. Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish
and a bit zenophobic. A boom/bust state currently in bust, means folks are in competition with each other for what jobs are available, and can be downright brutish about it. Don't expect intellectual stimulation, as many folks never emotionally graduated high school. But cost of living fairly ok, open carry, conceal carry without permit a plus. Wyoming has the highest suicide rate per capita in the US, so...

I also lived in Colorado. Jobs paid more, but cost of living higher and there's state income tax. Its a good outdoor living state. I absolutely loved the social atmosphere, and always found folks, co-workers etc to do things with. People were just friendlier than those in Wyoming, and had a little more going on upstairs. Now, I was there before pot got legalized, so have to qualify that. There's bigger towns, hence bigger hospitals, so I would think better RN opportunities. And those hospitals generally have a higher standard of care, as some of them are magnet hospitals, and nationally recognized specialty hospitals. JMHO

Wyogal is exactly correct and VERY observant, particularly about the WY workplace.

Lived in WY for 6 years after spending my younger ones longing to live there since it's a hunter's paradise.

Ignorant, sleazy, schitty, sorry people...particularly the Casper crowd. Won't even drive thru there now.

As a degreed professional, had 4 jobs in 6 years trying to find one where the people at work (including the company owners!!!) didn't feel threatened by a talented, qualified, outsider and wouldn't make me do the stupid kid schitt while they took the important stuff.......all in the interest of their job and ego protection.

Fawk the WY scumbags. Pi$$ on them. Stay away if you're qualified, competent, and worth a schitt in the workplace, cuz you'll end up leaving anyway.

Grand Junction, CO pays the same as WY and is a MUCH nicer area with MUCH better folks and climate and you are actually allowed to succeed in the work place if you've got talent. Plus....politically isolated from the front range.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.