Latest project. I traded my .220S #1 for a .257R barreled action and an early Ti stock. The CDL action had a Callahan firing pin and aluminum bolt shroud, replacing the factory J lock assembly. The OEM trigger was replaced with a very fine Walker trigger, tweaked to a very clean 3#'s. The barrel is a 24" #3 Brux.

I wasn't sure about converting an ADL fiberglass stock to BDL, could have converted the gun to ADL, but like BDL better. I was referred to ingwe who had done a few. After discussing it with him, I proceeded with the conversion. I glassed top and bottom metal. The Ti is pillared with an extension to the recoil lug, a nice touch.

I picked up a 4200 2.5-10x40 on the Fire Classifieds. With the thick, high Ti comb, I needed high rings. I wanted to use Talley LW's, but needed more offset and in the Brownell's catalog, they're only offered in Med for the 700. So, I modified Warne and Weaver bases I had on hand to accommodate Burris Zee high rings. Sort of a hodge podge of stuff, but it came together OK. I'm not a Burris fan, but these rings, although steel and not light, are trim and did what they needed to do.

The LA is a bit much for the Roberts, but if I shoot 115 VLD's touching, the COAL is 3.025" and this isn't one of those 3", long throated Roberts chambers. Even with the std. chamber, a 3" round needs more than a SA box mag to work. Fortunately, even the shortest rounds dropped in this mag will feed smoothly.

The barrel was fitted by Ron Lampert, Guthrie, MN. Ron is no longer able to work due to a stroke, but was a master metalsmith. He did work for Jim Carmichael, who referred to him as "one of the countries top metal specialsits". Ron shortened a Mauser action, welding the ends such that the weld couldn't be seen. That gun became Jim's 250 Savage. He took the pieces, cut another Mauser and extended it to magnum length. That one became Jim's .375 H&H. "Very cute indeed", Jim wrote in his book, "The Modern Rifle".

I haven't shot it, but will report. I had thought about painting the stock black, but this early Ti pattern has grown on me. I sorta like it.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/17/15.