Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I saw your load recommended by another member of the Campfire. My load has been 40.1 grains of 4350. It turns their lights out quick. It penetrates well too. I used Nosler data. I know it has become more conservative over the years. I don't have a chrono, so I wonder what my velocity is out of a 20" barrel.

Paul,

I checked my notes. That load was mentioned in previous posts and represents an accumulation of articles and data.

The concept that +P loads group tighter than std. loads, almost across the board, came from work by R. H. VanDenburg, Jr. In JB's fine New Zealand article, field testing VLD's, .257R/115 VLD's were tested at 2,900 fps, which is in same ball park with this load.

In another article, JB published a load of 45 gr. H-4350 with the 115 NPT. That same load was given to me by the previous owner who said it worked well for him in this gun. It does, just not as well as the 115 NBT load.

I've seen it written that because the .257R was the parent round of the 6mm Rem, it should be able to operate at similar pressure limits in a strong gun. And, of course that would be .257R +P.

I'm going to see what IMR-4451 will do with this bullet, as it's pretty close to the 4350's and I have a can.

DF