When I was younger, in long guns I had an A-5 12 ga, a BAR .30-06, and a .22 Marlin 39. I usually killed a deer or two each year and a few bushels of quail.

Now that I'm old, I have a bulging safe full to overflow with long guns, can't chase quail, and am no longer mad at the deer. One may come along someday big enough to shoot. Something indeed is wrong with this picture.

We have a little over two weeks of deer hunting left. Maybe....., maybe not.

One doesn't have to spend 8K or more for a good rifle. In the eighties, I picked up a custom stocked .30-06 FN with the nicely contoured factory 24"barrel that was lapped. IIRC, I gave $465 for it back then, which would likely translate to more like 1500 today.

Although I am guilty of buying, selling, and trading rifles, I have actually come out ahead. I have upgraded my armory to several nice pieces. The purely gun money stash has grown as well as the numbers of guns.

Meanwhile, I have been and still am fortunate in that except for a few years, have not had to pay for hunting. My bags are not as varied as some, but white tail and desert mule deer are my favorite pursuits. Throw in predators, a few exotics, and I have been pretty happy. I was too "busy" when elk was offered up, big mistake. Also, I let life interfere when Nilgi and alligator were offered. Untimely deaths happen and offers go away.

Bottom line , Mr. day was half right. I have too many guns, but the prices for an Echols are not required to have a good gun.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 12/14/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero