Interesting to see this old thread resurrected after so much time. Also interesting to see that the same a-holes back then are still a-holes now. No wisdom gained and the same tired old nonsense being repeated ad nauseum.

I took a very long break from this forum basically for the same reason this thread is so distasteful. Nonsense and disrespect for others and an awful lot of internet bravery being displayed. Even though I was probably one of the first dozen people to start this forum when Rick invited me over and I've made some very good friends on this forum, they are all gone now- chased away by the disrepect, rudeness, and just downright low class actions of so many on what used to be the best forum on the internet, IMHO.

I knew Allen Day but not as well as I would have liked. We both had busy schedules and never quite were able to get together more than once or twice. He was at all times the kind of guy I instantly liked and respected- a straight shooter, hard worker, and knew exactly what he wanted and would work hard to get to that point.
Allen may or may not have had money before his business took off- it matters not. He worked as hard as it took to make his business successful and believed in enjoying the fruits of his work. As is his right.
He could afford an Echols rifle when so many could not, but I believe he meant to convey that he appreciated the Echols for what they were - the very best tool he could find to pursue his favorite hobby. Hard to argue with his logic. He also could afford hunts we all would love to take. He also wouldn't have been the only one to have lost his fortune during the tough times of the 90's. Many of us in this area suffered for many years when the economy and other things went to hell in a handbasket.

I only recently returned to this site to find that not much has changed so I may or may not hang around. But it is still sad to hear of the passing of my friend who I had lost track of in busy days of life and running a business. There is a special place in hell and the memories of men for those who speak ill of the dead.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.