There's nothing wrong with his thinging. It's a great idea to buy quality products, and use them. It is interesting to me how many "mediocre" firearms people own, and the cash tied into them, when you could have put in ~ $1000-1500 have have a very nice rifle, scope/ mount outfit. I don't view having 8 rifles/shotguns in the sks/mossberg/rossi/NEF/surplus sporterized military as "wrong", but at $200/pop, you could have a truly nice outfit.

That being written, it's fun to acquire a rifle to see how it's made, shoot it, and see what it is like (as well as to to research the history of it). I do it. I bought a sporterized 303 British No 4 mark I Longbranch just because I never had one. I picked it up for $125. Got some used dies and brass, and loaded up a 100 rounds with it. Shot it, and learned what it would do (3 inches at 100 yards with irons). Learned to take it apart/reassembly, and had a good time with it over a summer. Didn't need it and sold it for $175 with dies/brass.

So, no problem either way. Today, I'm paring things down, and keeping "quality". I don't have any fancy stuff, but "keepers" are JC Higgins FN 98 Mausers (2), Sako A series rifles, SW prelock revolvers, and some nice 22 LRs (SW 41, Anshutz 1411, Rem 540x). By "nice", I mean very accurate.

But I do like the idea of focusing on quality. Price points vary to the individual budget, so I'm no snob about that.

Really, there's nothing new about his comments. It works, but so do other buying motives.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."