Ken, I am truly humbled by the offer. If memory serves me right, this would be the second offer you have made for that visit. Perhaps, if we both had just the right size hammer, we could beat the truth out of them.
<br>We had this discussion several years back and I believe your thoughts on "proper care" is the only real answer.
<br>That is assuming...there's that word again...the scales are caliberated correctly at the git-go.
<br>I personally feel that no more than six or seven scales out of ten are weighing correctly, as they sit on the bench. I don't mean to the nearest .1, .01, or .001. I am thinking more like a full .9, 1.0 or possibly even more. I would like to suggest to anyone interested they compare weights when the opportunity arrises.
<br>I would also suggest that no one looses a lot of sleep worrying about the exactness of .01, .02, or .1. IMHO there is no need, as long as it is repeatable. I also don't feel this problem is new or unique in any way. I have been reloading for more than fifty years, started somewhere back in the mid / late 1940's, and I never gave my scales a second thought until ten or so years ago. There is no telling how many scales I've owned, traded for and never used, or used once or twice and sold, all on someone's advice that the next model was simply better. Now I ask myself...better for what?
<br>Technology will bring us a "better" scale. But the better part will only come from our own care and upkeep of this very sensitive instrument. As a side note; If I thought I was in danger, or risk of injury, from the use of a scale I would use a dipper. If I thought I needed to split fine hairs, to the nearest exactness available to me, I would most likely grab my old 10/10 O-Haus from somewhere back in the 1960's. You see...Me and this lying son-of-a-gun have this thing, and life is good, if not percise.
<br>Respectfully, Russ

Some mistakes are to much fun to make only once.