Dr. Howell, I am a firm believer in precision and reproducibility in measuring loads. Case and point: last month I pulled 30 bullets the night before a big hunt and decided to re-measure my powder. I was loading H-4831SC, 60.0gr behind Hornaday 130gr (.277) bullets. I use a Redding powder dispenser to throw around 59 and change and "top off" the load with a trickler on my digital scale (brand X), whose reproducibilty is +/- 0.1gr. I routinely re-weigh the tray until I get 60.0gr 2-3 times in a row.

Well guess what .......when I re-measured those charges I was getting 59.9gr and 60.1gr among the 60.0gr loads.

I remembered reading this thread and did a web search until I found the digital scale I wanted. It's reproducibilty is +/- 0.01gr. It is a Tanita 1210-100. Apparantly this is a jeweler's portable scale that weighs up to 100 carats (hence the "100" in the model number). I believe it'll weigh up to 20g, or 380gr. The only drawback is it takes 6 AAA batteries, but I've already soldered the wires from a 9v transducer to the battery terminals and it works like a charm.

I used to use those old Mettlers in college and med school....kinda big, huh!

Anyway for around $200 (not much more than an RCBS or PACTS scale, you can find a scale that's tenfold more precise, compact and potable.

P.S. I love your book!