Originally Posted by denton
I'm a long way from untangling what ITAR really says, but from a quick skim, I gather that ITAR only regulates items in international trade. There is no constitutional right to engage in international trade, so the regulations can be pretty tight.

If that's correct, your local gunsmith does not need to register or pay the fee unless he/she is doing work that will be shipped to another country. So, undoubtedly, the major gun manufacturers will want to register so they can export. But someone threading a barrel for the local trade? I don't think so.

I'll keep researching and post anything useful that I find.

Denton,

from the NRA ILA article:

"The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...on-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?