Originally Posted by curdog4570
According to the Manager of the large ranch mentioned earlier, and possibly one you reference, over 80% of their elk hunts and mule deer hunts are sold to out of state hunters.

And, s far as high fence deer hunting in Texas, the majority of high fencing is done by guys wanting to allow bucks to live long enough to produce decent racks and they are not for client hunters.

Of the commercial high fence hunting places, I'll bet the majority of their clients are from out of state.

I will bet that the same is true for Colorado Private Ranch hunts……..80% or so are non-residents. I don’t have any issues with the ranchers making a living anyway they can off their property……..whether raising cattle, corn or exotic animals to hunt.

We get a large number of NR elk hunters in Colorado each Fall. Some good and some not so good hunters. A few give up and say it’s too difficult or there are no elk and opt for the higher odds of a private ranch hunt. It’s their choice and glad there are all the options out there.

I am fortunate to live in Colorado and have horses to access difficult spots. I can also ride the country during the summer months ahead of season. I pack into the West Elk Wilderness every year and there is a group from Texas that I always see at the same trailhead. They trailer their horses up and pack into the same general area I go. Great guys that work and hunt hard……..and usually have as much success as my camp.