Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Worked great in Pa, not sure why it wouldn't work in NY. Give it a chance, I bet you're going to be glad you did. For 20+ years 8 points were hard to come by At out camp in nw Pa, usually a 15 inch 6 point was a good buck. I've killed 6 8 pointers, a couple 7's since the restrictions came into effect, and a big ten this year. I passed on a 17 inch 8 point on the first morning, that would have been absolute insanity when I was a teenager.

MM

MM, I hunted Tioga Co for many years back in the 80s-early 90s. I don't think the comparison to today's NY herd is quite fair. Back then I could pretty much count on seeing 50-100 deer opening day of PA on the Game Lands. Problem was you had to scope the heads of every one of them hoping to see a 3" spike you could shoot at, and if you did it was an easy drag because they wouldn't be much bigger than the average Labrador. That herd was over populated beyond the carrying capacity of the land. As I remember it, does were pretty well protected with their own 1 or 2 day season that you had to be lucky to get a tag for. My point is the ARs in PA, and the subsequent decimation of the over population of does, was a MANAGEMENT decision, and in hind sight a good one IMO.

NY does not have the herd issue that PA had. This proposed law is based solely on greed, not good wildlife science.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.