Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love it here out west, but do miss hunting squirrels! Shooting ground rats out here ain't the same as hunting grays in a the oak woods.

From a purely geographic and flora/fauna perspective, I don't think California can be beat. Shame it so fugged up.

Mooner,

you sure got that right. Try growing up there from age nine and watching the mostly detrimental changes over the years. It's truly maddening and saddening. I haven't lived there as a resident since 1999 but will retire there "soon". Fortunately as far away from the madness of SoCal as one can be and still be in the same state. Too bad for you, as the geographical and biological state would fit but not the political "State".

Are you retiring or do you have a "transferable skill" and can get work about anywhere? Have you looked into NW PA? There's great fishing for a variety of species in rivers, creeks and lakes including Erie, ice fishing too if you're into it. Hunting is/can be pretty good with a wide variety of game including plenty of squirrels. For a guy who's lived out west and knows and enjoys public lands, there's the Allegheny NF and plenty of State and lumber company lands in NW PA. Turkey hunting ain't bad, deer and bear hunting is available. Land/housing prices were reasonable a few years back, might still be as the area is part of the "Rust Belt" and populations aren't growing rapidly as in the southern tier. Weather isn't horrible, the odd tornado and blizzard, heat and humidity aren't fun for a month or two in the summer, but not nearly as bad as further south and east. Stay an hour or so south of the big lakes and you miss most of the lake effect snow. If you have a nice vehicle you may want to pick up a winter beater to deal with the salt on the roads. Mostly "conservative" values in that area. All in all not a bad area, were I in the position to do so I'd consider living there again as the nearly two years I was there impressed me.

I'd be right with you in looking for a place like you are if my wife hadn't settled in a very wonderful part of Cali and said she's DONE moving. Between the two of us and our careers we've moved something like 19 times since '96. I'd consider parts of Missouri, Arkansas, PA, Ohio and of course WY, AZ, NM, MT and those sorts too.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search. So many great choices in the Lower 48.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?