Originally Posted by rondrews
We chose Northern Wisconsin for the Northwoods atmosphere and four seasons. Great Hunting, Fishing is out-of this world. We would have tried Ketchikan, AK, but the wife can't get too far from family. Montana would have been our third choice. The only bad thing about Northern Wisconsin is the long winters. Late Oct to May is not warm So we take a month or two and head down to the Florida or the Alabama coast. Breaks up the winter. If you can handle a week or two a few times a year of 20-30 Below Zero, I would look at any county north of Highway 64 and close to Hospitals, shopping, etc. I would give Sabine County in Eastern Texas a look also. That place mimic's the North woods without the cold. Not too far from Tornado Alley though. Lots of choices in the lower 48. I'll bet Maine, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, has some great places.
Oregon does indeed have some great places but it's all run from Portland/Eugene. It's become a really nut case liberal state and 90% of it has little say in what the liberals do.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.