Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Best LRScope.....One that above all is reliable. Been said before that a great warranty is almost worthless when your hundreds of miles from home on top of a mountain in bump ass no where.

In 2010 a had a coveted mule deer tag that took years to get. I put a new scope on my .260 in early spring and shot the hell out of it all summer..all good!
When the season opened I backpacked into a area I had scouted all summer. About a 4 1/2 hr pack in & rained the whole way in. Next morning out before first light to a basin where I had been seeing 2 really good bucks most of the summer. Sure enough they were there. got within 350 yards set up waiting for a little more light and WTF could not see through my scope. Totally fogged. I thought about trying to center the deer in the scope and trying a shot but thought better of it. Decided to back out and see if I could get the scope cleared up. At camp tried to unscrew the eyepiece..no go. Warmed it up a little and just made the fog turn to droplets. Screwed! Put my pack on, left my camp and hauled down the mountain. Got in the car drove 75 miles to my house got my other rifle. By then it was late so stayed over nite got up and hiked back up there. Surprisingly I bumped into another hunter who also had a high country tag. He just "missed" a huge buck in the same basin 1/4 mile from my camp.. Hunted the rest of the week, passed some smaller bucks and ate tag soup.

Sent the scope back and it was repaired and back in 2 weeks..great but....

My .260 now wears a Nightforce and I have not draw a high country mule deer tag since 2010.

So much for warranty's

LC

+1 This.

When we were kids, we'd go out with Grandpa to his cabin on the lake. The boat would sit tied to the dock during the day, getting used here and there, and if a storm came up in the early evening, we'd hurry and take the boat out to the buoy, where it could ride the waves instead of bashing into the dock all night long. On many occasions the evening rolled around, and there'd be clear skies and the prospect of a nice, calm night. Grandpa would ask us to take the boat out to the buoy before we went to bed. In my young mind, this made no sense. Putting the boat on the bouy was what we did when we expected a storm, what's the point of putting it out there on a calm night? So I asked Grandpa why we always put the boat on the bouy, even in clear skies. His answer stuck with me and often comes to mind, even all these years later. "So we can sleep when the wind blows," he'd say. He passed on recently, but I'll never forget that lesson he taught me as a boy.

I've gone away from LW scopes, even on my LW rifles, which, while a bit heavier, now wear scopes renowned for rugged durability/reliability, so that after I've backpacked in 10 miles to get to my sheep mountain, I can sleep when the wind blows.