Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I wouldn't own a Zeiss if it were free. Their scopes are junk. Good spotters and OK binoculars though. Best scope under $1500....Sightron. They actually track and repeat correctly.

Another odd claim is that you need ffp for long range. All my scopes are sfp and I shoot long range a lot. There are trade offs to both...

Strong words on Zeiss but I guess you have earned the right and may be right. However, I own a victory that is flawless in its tracking. I was hesitant about their tracking ability when I picked up my 1st one. I actually posted a question here about their turret precision with no answer. I have not spun it a lot so it may fail but I will give it the chance. It's only flaw isn't really a flaw at all. It's FFP #8 reticle is a fantastic hunting reticle but for long range precision work it is too heavy at full power and the subtensions are too wide for any reference. Again it is perfect through the magnification range for hunting. The scope serves its intended purpose very well since I will only dial to 400 or so with it on game depending on wind.

FFP VS SFP is a matter of reticle design and personal preference. At low power the FFP referencing reticles are often hard to see until you get into mid power and up. Some are better than others but you get accurate feedback at all powers if you can read it. SFP Reiticles only provide accurate references at full power. Half power with an accurate zoom dial. For guys that don't like to shoot at max power this can pose a problem. Again a matter of personal preference. I tend to shoot at top power past 300 yards depending on the top value.

A scope with a reticle that doesn't match the dial is an absolute abomination to me. i.e. Mild dot with MOA turret. Stupid in my opinion...

Buy a MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. Don't mix them. K.I.S.S.

The trend in tacticool has created a lot of new scopes and technologies. Shooters have a lot to choose from nowadays. I cannot deny that the new SWFA 12x42 has been impressive for its purpose. I paid less than $250 for it. Is it birder glass? No, but who really cares?

Last edited by CBB15; 05/31/17.