Very real possibility that I may be moving to the Yukon, Whitehorse to be precise, for a few years and I am naturally more than a little bit excited about the hunting and fishing opportunities. I have been planning to reduce my firearms collection to fewer better guns anyway so here's what I suspect I will be bringing with me and looking for a little input on anything I may be missing or overlooking.
12 gauge remington 870 28" vent ribbed barrel and 18.5" smooth bore slug barrel
.223 Remington 700 bdl Varmint, back and forth if I should swap this for a model 7 predator that I may hunt with more but how much would I really hunt with a .223 remington up there anyway?
7mm rem mag ruger m77 tang safety, 2.5-10x40 Bushnell elite 4500 series and a B&C stock that feels good in my hands.
Some sort of rimfire and perhaps a 20 gauge of some sort.
Should I bother with a medium bore of some sort? I am sure someone will be along to recommend a .30-06 or .300 magnum with a 200 grain partition or accubonds as a do it all North American big game rifle. Part of me wonders if a .338 win mag really offers anything other than higher cost over a .300 win mag and a premium 200-220 grain bullet? Should I bring my .243?
What is the wing shooting like up there, my favorite hunting is probably waterfowl and roughed grouse a very close second sometimes beating it when I have a dog that knows the game.