Originally Posted by Jamesd1187
I figure for guns I move a couple will be my skeet and trap guns they're under used since I stepped back how serious I take the clay games and I'm having more fun shooting field guns. I have a few other safe queens that I'll likely part with as well. I only listed the guns I'd likely bring with me although I figure a Remington 7600 will tag along just as a salute to my eastern whitetail hunting roots, currently its a .308 but I saw one in .280 listed recently that may get picked up.

I am back and forth on a stainless lightweight maybe I'll hold out until I get there and have a better idea how much sheep or hunting in the mountains I'll do and have an idea exactly how long I will be residing there. The medium bore is an itch I have had for a long time and I would very much like to scratch it. I was on Tradex doing some browsing and was almost moved to reach for my wallet but I am still not decided on what I want. .338 Win mag has the advantage of easier sourced factory ammo if I had to, 9.3x62 is classic and there are some great deals to be had for one especially in blued and walnut, .35 Whelen also a classic with many positive attributes other than availability of factory rifles, and then there are the .375's certainly tempting perhaps more recoil than I would care for but in that case a .338 or .358 magnum may be more than I'd care for as well. I would say my most pressing challenge is find a .338 or .375 and fire a few rounds to see if it is beyond my abilities.

I am going to make an assumption that you are relatively young (probably shouldn't assume anything though lol ) so I would imagine when you get a good look at some sheep or goats you very likely will get a strong desire to hunt them.

You of course are right that the 338 would be much easier to find ammo, and it is a good idea to shoot a 338 or 375 before you buy one to see how they are. I had a 375 Ruger for a while that performed great but in the end I couldn't tell any difference on how well it killed game compared to my 35 Whelen so I traded it off. The Whelen kicks a lot less than a 375, my 375 was about 9.5 lbs and the Whelen is 7 lb 4 oz by the way. Something like the Federal 210 gr Partition factory load for the 338 WM doesn't kick too bad either. I'm in B.C. so I'm not sure how easily factory ammo for the 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 is found in the Yukon, both are best for someone who handloads. If you do want to handload one day either are excellent choices that will kill very well but not kick too bad.

Gerry.