Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by Jamesd1187
You are correct in assuming I am fairly young at 28. I handload, so I have that going for me although I'm fairly new to that part of the hobby. I take it that the .300 magnums loaded with 200-220 grain do not equal the on game performance of the various medium bores from the responses here. I suppose a big bore lever could be worth considering as well, there probably aren't many scenarios between 200 and my personal limit of 500 that a 160-175 grain partition from a 7mm rem mag isn't suitable for.

A 300 with 200-220 gr bullets are really good too. I had a 308 Norma Magnum for quite a while and ran the bullets in that range, I'm hoping to add a 300 WSM this year and use the bullets in that range. Still if you handload a 338 WM, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 would be hard to beat, a powerful lever gun is intriguing as well.

Did you ever run the 30 cal Speer 200 Hot Cor SP? I've been considering that bullet but I've found little testimony of how it holds up or its terminal performance. I have a .30-06 and .300 WSM I'm considering it for. saddlesore seems pleased with the Sierra 220 RN in his .30-06, and I read where BC30cal had less than stellar performance from some older Hornady 220's which surprised me since he wasn't pushing them fast.

I used the older style 2 core version on the 200 gr Speer G.S. which were good bullets. and also the 220 gr Nosler partition which were also good. I never tried the 200 gr Hot Cor but it does look to be worth a try, not sure of how the current Grand Slam's work since they changed the design and made it a heavy jacketed Hot Cor. Another one I liked is the 200 gr Accubond.

Gerry.