JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust you're having a good summer down in the Bluegrass State.

As my cyber friend Jordan has stated, there's a pretty large variety of handguns that we're able to own - "possess" in Canadian firearm legal jargon. We're only able to shoot them at approved ranges however and there's strict rules for how they're carried to and from those ranges. We're required to have permits for each handgun - "restricted weapon" in jargonese - and they're transported with a lock on them AND in a locked container.

Some types of handgun aren't available for most Canadians to own - these include barrels shorter than 4.25" and handguns in .32 and .25 caliber. Yes of course there were slightly less than zero crimes committed with .25 and .32 caliber handguns, but that didn't stop the all knowing in Ottawa from making them unlawful to possess.

Before leaving that subject, I'm an old guy who has had certain classes of firearm for a long, long time, so I get to be "grandfathered" with some of them. So in fact I would legally be able to possess "prohibited" firearms such as short barreled pistols or revolvers or .32 and .25 caliber ones too. That said, I can't pass them onto my kids who although they've gone through the process of getting a "Restricted Possession/Acquisition Licence" aren't "grandfathered" like I am. Neither is my good wife for that matter because she didn't "possess" any of that class when the fine folks back east decided that type was a threat to public safety.

Hopefully it goes without saying that none of these laws have had any effect whatsoever on the gang bangers when they're procuring arms to have in the event that their "franchising issues" escalate..... which they do from time to time and that's the major cause of shootings in Canada.

Strangely enough, we're perfectly legal packing pump or hinge action shotguns with barrels as short as 10" as long as it's a factory barrel - that is to say not cut down by yourself or a smith - and the overall length of said arm is 26½" long. Lately I've been experimenting with a very light 14" barreled pump gun hanging on a single point sling when packing meat and it's not a terrible compromise I suppose. That said if it was legal I'd absolutely have a Redhawk in a chest holster instead, but I can't so I don't.

Lastly they've just lately lightened up a wee tad on back country carry of heavy revolvers for hunting guides, but as one can imagine its a bit hit and miss whether or not they'll issue a wilderness carry permit to anyone when applying - or so I've been told.

Hope that was somewhat clear, albeit odd in a sad way to read for someone coming from a state like Kentucky. It might make sense to a reader from New Jersey better?

All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"