Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Gloves are to protect the boxer's hand and lessen the chance of cuts. They don't lessen knockouts.

Test case....put a 4 oz mma glove in a pillow case, swing it, and hit your wife with it. Then put a 12 (or 16) oz boxing glove in the same pillow case and hit her with it. Ask her which one she is happiest about.

That's funny, 200% more padding(what changes the gloves weight)doesn't effect kinetic energy ?, why do you think they outlawed bare knuckle contests professionally ?...people would die.

I'm just telling you the facts.

Must be different facts than science.

So, I put a 16 oz glove on and stick it inside a pillow case and punch you in the face....then bare knuckle fist inside a pillow case and punch you in the face...and you aren't going to feel the difference ? hahahaha come on now smile

If you don't think a 4 oz MMA glove(resembles a leather winter glove with fingers cut off), is going to do more damage than a heavily padded 12 oz boxing glove...I'm speechless.

I shouldn't say facts, just experience. The gloves inside a pillow case don't have a hand in them. It's not punching, they are empty and you're swing the pillow case with the glove in it.

From my experience with lots of training in MMA and training with lots of boxers working standup, there isn't enough difference between an MMA glove and a boxing glove to matter when hit....early in a fight or in early rounds. When we first started working with boxers we always trained in boxing gloves because we (and they) were worried about using MMA gloves. We did use MMA gloves when mixing in takedowns (no boxers involved here). After noticing there seemed to be no difference in getting hit with an MMA glove vs boxing glove we talked a few of the boxers into training with us in MMA gloves. After several training sessions they agreed that they couldn't tell a difference when hit in the early rounds or when fresh. I think there is little difference when fresh between a boxing glove and a MMA glove. I will say the MMA gloves lead to more cuts because there are more exposed seams, the seams on a boxing glove are less likely to make contact.

Now, I stated that there was little difference when fresh. After several sessions the boxers and us MMA fighters agreed that the longer a training session went, the harder the boxing glove seemed to hit. We were unanimous in agreeing on this. I don't know why, but my guess is the momentum of the heavier glove eventually helps a puncher punch harder as his muscles get tired. This is just an observation based on experience that all in the training agreed to. We were surprised but it is what it is.

There are a couple of reasons to train standup with boxing gloves rather than MMA glove however. First is cuts. A cut is much less likely with a boxing glove. Second is the boxer's hands. A boxing glove protects the hand a lot more than an MMA glove...and is also much easier to put on when hands are wrapped. Third is defensive based, if you can slip punches from a boxing glove you'll be able to slip them if a MMA glove is used....that said, it's easier to block/parry a boxing glove.

I can't speak to bare knuckle, only to MMA and boxing gloves. I can say if boxing was done bare knuckle the most useful defensive manuver would be to learn how to catch punches with the the head right above the hairline, working to catch the punchers last two knuckles. A lot of fights would end with broken hands in the first round.