Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm glad this fight is happening and I hope Mayweather whips some ass. Boxing as a sport has fell to the wayside and I'd like to see it stick around.

I saw an interview with Holyfield a few weeks ago and even he couldn't name the current Heavyweight Champ.

Fighting has evolved and I don't think anybody can argue that MMA is the most practical of all the disciplines but at the same time I think a lot of (younger) people have lost sight of the fact that a boxers hands are scary fast. Because that's all they're taught to use.

I don't like the fact that there's an eleven year age gap and I also don't like the "world tour" of schit talking. But I do like the overall concept of the fight and I do believe both are going there to win.

Travis

I was a huge fan of boxing back in the Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran days, boxing became a dirty political game after that...champions not defending belts, Arum and King destroyed the sport with greed. Today guy's like De LeHoya are still doing it, the sport has been tainted like never before. HBO has been loyal to championship fights, but main stream TV doesn't bother anymore...back in the day the worlds biggest fights were televised for free, miss those days.

Add Ali and Holmes to that list. Just watched Ali towards the end of his career, but it was still memorable along with the ones you listed. I didn't know it at the time but I was watching the peak of boxing in my lifetime. We didn't have TV but I watched every bout I could and back then if you got the 3 big networks you could watch every boxing match of any significance.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.