I would have to agree with this regarding the gloves. Boxing gloves are much better at protecting the hands and may actually allow the fighter to throw harder. Protection for the thumb is virtually non-existent in the MMA gloves. One advantage to the lighter glove is that it allows for greater punch velocity; at least early on. Early days boxing gloves were only 6 oz. but probably weighed double that after a few rounds due to perspiration absorption.
As far as this fight is concerned, the best MMA striker is, at best, an advanced amateur boxer. Now, sometimes a good amateur can have limited success (see Patterson vs. Rademacher) but it isn't likely to last. I do hope McGregor can be competitive but I don't think he can be taught enough in the time he has. Mayweather actually does pretty well against southpaws. His lead right hand comes out of nowhere and southpaws are often open to it.
If I was going to advise a fighter going against Mayweather, I would advise him to protect well against that right hand while starting out with as many hard punches to the left kidney as he could get away with. This should get Floyd to quit turning his back. The other thing I would advise is to crowd him and keep punching. Unfortunately, infighting is something that MMA fighters don't do real well for the simple reason that, when they are inside, they are grappling and have to defend against potential submission holds. Not so in boxing and being able to punch well inside can pay dividends. Most MMA fighters tend to punch from outside and, when the range closes up, they grapple. I don't think McGregor has time to un-learn this behaviour. Against Mayweather, fighting at long range is fine but only if long range is still within range, the fighter keeps busy and does not eschew the jab, and he is able to protect against the counter. Again, too much for McGregor to learn in short time.
While it may be true that McGregor can punch harder, the truth is that Mayweather doesn't have to punch as hard as McGregor; he only has to punch hard enough. The record books are full of cases where a hard puncher was knocked out by a softer-punching but more skilled opponent.
I'm not sure I'll waste the money but it might be a good way to spend a night out with my son. GD