Having owned 30-06, 338-06, and 35 Whelen I came to the conclusion that 338-06 and 35 Whelen gave 300 WM recoil and were a step down from a 30-06 loaded with 200 gr or heavier bullets. If I'm going to get hit with 300 WM recoil, why not shoot 300 WM. I've never fooled with a 9.3, but since it is typically loaded with bullets approaching 300 gr it does appear to separate from the 30-06 on really big stuff at close range. I suppose the 35 Whelen could do the same thing if loaded with the heavier bullets.

But that is the problem. Almost everyone who hunts with a 338-06 or 35 Whelen shoots 200-225 gr bullets. You can shoot those bullet weights in a 30-06 with less recoil or a 300 WM with about the same recoil. Muzzle velocity and energy looks good compared to 30-06 shooting 180-220 gr bullets, but no one shoots stuff at the muzzle. The better SD's of the similar weight 30 caliber bullets mean better penetration at all ranges, and the better BC's mean they catch up in speed down range. Sometimes in as little as 100 yards depending on the exact loads. There isn't enough difference in 30 caliber and 33 caliber to make any difference.

That said, a hunter using either the 338-06, 35 Whelen, or 9.3 isn't at any real disadvantage either. They all kill stuff, they all shoot flat enough to be used at reasonable ranges, and they are all unique and different from the masses using 30-06 or similar rounds. If you're just looking for something out of the mainstream they all work and the 338-06 would be my pick if I decided to go back to one. Just don't do this expecting any gains in performance.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.