Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
First, skip the .35 Whelen. I have never understood that one when you could have a .338 or 9.3 with a better selection of bullets.

If anyone has a problem finding bullets for a 35cal, in any chamber, they have problems. The old bullet selection argument is a bit thin these days. smile

Maybe I should rephrase: .35s have generally been saddled with slower twists, which thereby limit bullet selection because of length. Though, you may be right, it seems Northfork or Swift or somebody is making some heavier weights.

You're right about slow twist. Remington has been stubborn to keep their slow twists in a lot of chamberings, incl the 35Whelen which remains 1:16". I've had several 7600s in 35W and all would shoot 250s w/o problems but I would prefer a 1:12" for good measure. I just had a M700 re-tubed with a Lilja 1:12". For most NA hunting, a 250gr bullet is plenty heavy in a 35cal. Between NPs and TSX/TTSX, one could do ok finding a good 250gr bullet. If I wanted heavier, I'd get a 375magnum. smile