I haven't owned the 9.3 but have the other two (both Improved models). I've had this conversation with hunting buddies ad nauseum. Although I LOVE my 338-06AI and hunt with it a lot, I'd remove it from your choice. Others have talked about an '06 with a 200 grain bullet, and I agree--it flat works. From my perspective, a medium bore should legitimately handle a 250 grain bullet. As an example, I don't shoot anything above a 215 grain in my 338 (right now, I'm using the 210 NPT), but I know many others do (especially 225's). I experimented with the 230 Fail Safes when they were being closed out by Midway, and they worked alright but the velocities were wanting.

My 35 Whelen AI shoots bugeyes with the 225 SGK over Reloder 12 & 15, and I think most owners would argue the Whelen earned its stripes as a 250 grain rifle.

I have thought long & hard about the 9.3--the energy from the 286 grain offerings is awfully compelling. That said, I own .375 caliber rifles and am happy with the 270/300 grain selection there. Plus, .366/.375 is big bore to me, but we're splitting hairs.

Enjoy the decision!

Murphy was a grunt.