Originally Posted by Glynn
OK, so are the scope mounts QD or is the primary sight (mine is the swfa 1x4 til I can get a 1x6) just taken off when it's raining or failed with a hex? I think I have room for the LR's under the scope. Looks like they work on all the guns pictured. I have Frank's flashlight mount out there where I'd want the front sight but not a big deal.

Don't guess you could count on them being still dead on even if you had them set before removal like a good QD mount. If I'm taking the scope/mount off with a wrench I would have time to put.

No, most are not QD. Through a lot of use I have found that I prefer hard mounted optics. There are some good QD mounts such as the dual lever Bobro, but almost all POI shifts and loss of zero issues went away once I went back to hard mounting. All of the mounts can be taken off with a leatherman and/or screwdriver, knife, etc. They return to zero excellently.

Nah, you can't detach and reattach the irons. They're pretty low profile, and you shouldn't have an issue mounting an optic over them.

Originally Posted by MontanaMan

After all your very negative comments over time about Vortex scope, why are you using one?

Have you changed your mind?

Just got a good one?

MM

For one it's an issued optic. They're very good on 1x, have great illumination, and excellent FOV on 1x. However, one must understand that you can't buy that exact scope. That's the fourth (4th) one, all the others catastrophically failed within 3k rounds. If you go and buy a Razor 1-6x, it isn't the same scope.

Along with that, I use all kinds of optics. Most I wouldn't recommend for even play toys. However, part of my job is to test, evaluate, and know what's out there. If I'm saying that you do or do not want to use something, there's a reason. I am continuously using Vortex, Leupold, Swaro, etc, etc. However, when it comes to what I actually use outside of testing- I practice what I preach.