Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
I'd like to hear yalls opinion on gas blocks.......

I see a lot of full length rails that require low profile gas blocks.
Do you prefer a pinned front sight base that has been shaved to fit under the rail or
a low profile gas block with set screws? Do you require the barrel to be dimpled for the set screws?

Have you had gas blocks come loose?

Great thread, lot of good information!

I prefer pinned as first choice with clamp-on blocks probably second choice over setscrews. Dimpled is otherwise known as dog pointing and I would not use a set screwed block unless it was. Because of the heat involved I am suspect of those using only locktite. If there is enough meat an old trick is to run two short setscrews in the same hole. One on top of the other. I trust this even more than a jamb nut on an extra length set screw. If the screw is near to flush it can be staked with a centerpunch to prevent it backing out. Pinned is still best and there are blocks available for that. Nothing wrong with shaving a front sight tower but cosmetic results may vary from one mechanic to another. Also note some set screws are cup pointed and others are knurled. Pick your poison. I like my poison knurled... if I'm using poison. grin

Last edited by Captain; 08/22/18.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"