Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Aaaaahhhh yes, the Big Medicine!

That round made quite a reputation with a 300 grain bullet and fairly brisk velocities.

I knqw the .45-70 does pretty good with a 300 grainer and 2K+ velocity, but with a better sectional density, the .405 should dig deeper. You have to go to a bullet weight of 380 grains with the .45-70 to equal the .405's 300 grain SD.

Vic,,I have a custom 400 gr gas check mold on order for the 405 just to play around with..Like Gunner I'm a Hindenburg fan in all big bores..the bigger the better ! Only question will it stabilize? Wife said what can I get you for Christmas you don't already have two times over so the mold is inbound . grin

'Ol Ted probably wouldn't mind 'heavy medium', he sorta looked like a heavy medium himselfgrin, I can tell you what 40 cal and 400 grains will do in the 400 Whelen and 40-65 Sharps rifle, everyone knows what they've been getting done for over 100 years in Africa for ALL game in the 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery ;]

Congrats on the new mould, plus, you can find bullet stabilization charts online to see exactly what the twist in your rifle will stabilize.

Trump Won!