Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Aaaaahhhh yes, the Big Medicine!

That round made quite a reputation with a 300 grain bullet and fairly brisk velocities.

I knqw the .45-70 does pretty good with a 300 grainer and 2K+ velocity, but with a better sectional density, the .405 should dig deeper. You have to go to a bullet weight of 380 grains with the .45-70 to equal the .405's 300 grain SD.

Vic,,I have a custom 400 gr gas check mold on order for the 405 just to play around with..Like Gunner I'm a Hindenburg fan in all big bores..the bigger the better ! Only question will it stabilize? Wife said what can I get you for Christmas you don't already have two times over so the mold is inbound . grin

'Ol Ted probably wouldn't mind 'heavy medium', he sorta looked like a heavy medium himselfgrin, I can tell you what 40 cal and 400 grains will do in the 400 Whelen and 40-65 Sharps rifle, everyone knows what they've been getting done for over 100 years in Africa for ALL game in the 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery ;]

Congrats on the new mould, plus, you can find bullet stabilization charts online to see exactly what the twist in your rifle will stabilize.

Jerry, this new 400 grain mold drops a bullet which is the 40 cal clone of the 480 gr. 45 Parker Hale so with the added length of the 405 case even with the long seating depth there's still enough boiler room to get this behemoth up to speed !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody