Woodsmaster81:

FWIW: Kevin Robertson wrote the book: AFRICA'S MOST DANGEROUS. The section regarding "Selecting The Right Bullet" pg 137. "The 300 grain Winchester Silvertip was once a popular buffalo bullet. Somewhere along the line, however, something in its construction changed and it became so "soft" that it should no longer be considered suitable for use on buffalo. To date, I have seen only two buffalo wounded and lost. The first occurred when I was still a learner PH undergoing my apprenticeship. Using a 300-grain Nosler Partition in .375 H&H calibre, our client took an easy 50-pace, full frontal chest shot at a mature herd bull in fairly open mopane country. I watched the bull thud to the ground as if lightning-struck. But he was instantly back on his feet and lost in the dust and confusion of the milling herd before any backup shots could be fired. The herd thundered off but pulled up after a short run, and I was able to observe them carefully through my binocular before they moved off again. The wounded bull could not be identified within such a large herd, and all the trackers found were a few small drops of thin, watery blood. A long follow-up ensued, but we never caught up with or found the bull. We even returned to the area the next day and searched without success until sunset. We all finally concluded that the Partition must have SET UP (caps mine) and expanded on the thick, loose, and supple frontal chest skin without penetrating into the chest cavity. Though the bull was not fatally wounded, blood had been spilled and according to the regulations our client lost what he had come all the way to Africa for."

Might behoove potential buffalo hunters to purchase a copy of Robertson's book before heading to the Dark Continent for buffalo.