Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jmh3,

I haven't tried RL-16 yet. Have been using RL-15 with 200-210's in the .338 for many years, with superb results. It's somewhat more temperature-sensitive than 16, but on a plains game hunt it wouldn't matter.

Used to use heavier bullets on bigger game, such as the 230 Fail Safe on an Alaskan bull moose, and the 250 Partition on a bull eland, but question whether they'd be any more effective than a monolithic 200-210 even on those really big animals.

While I've used a variety of 200-210's on "medium" game, my favorite's the 200 Ballistic Tip--or these days the Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip, which is the same thing in different colors. The bullet's mostly jacket, so is similar to a monolithic with a sliver of lead behind the plastic tip. It kills very well, but also penetrates very deeply. Once shot a bull gemsbok in the right shoulder as it stood almost facing me at around 150 yards. The bull went right down, and the bullet was recovered from under the hide of the left ham--several feet of penetration.

Mule Deer,
What's your experience with the 200 grain Accubond? Does it perform similarly to the 200 grain BT?
Thanks,
bowmanh