Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by CRS
sooooooo, bullet diameter does make a difference?

Or does it just makes a difference on grizzly bears?

Pardon the sarcasm wink

There is a difference on deer between a 243 and 270 caliber (BTDT)
There is a difference on elk between 30 and 338 caliber (BTDT)
There is difference on buffalo between 375 and 416 caliber (in print from many PH's)
There is a difference between 9mm and 45's (plenty of lethality studies)

Phil Shoemaker carries a 458, and is a huge 30-06 advocate. Speaks volumes

JB, you state for grizzly protection you would carry a 30-06 with 200gr partitions, I would choose a 338-06 with 210gr as a minimum, or my 9.3x64 Brenneke, 375 H&H, or 404 J.

Bigger diameter hits harder, but dead is dead. If you want something that hits harder, choose a bigger diameter. Once again, simple physics.

All my experience with grizzly's has been in WY, ID, and Alaska. Never had any problems, some encounters. Was usually carrying my longbow as a primary weapon with bear spray or a 44 with 300gr hard cast bullets.

I spend many hours reading medical studies, therefore I am no stranger to scientific methods.

All my experience is subjective observations. Maybe I should have documented all my experiences, but even with detailed documention, there are too many uncontrolled variables with in the field "testing".

I certainly agree with you relating to bullet size, weight, and construction. The differences between bullet diameters or calibers, regardless of how minuscule the differences may be, still make a difference overall. It's a matter of physics, something that can't be exact by field testing, since every bullet shot does not go thought the same space and time, nor exact medium. That's why I rely on ballistics first. If bullet diameter would not make a difference we all would be shooting the same caliber for all hunting (there would not be a minimum gun caliber), and there is no gun out there that can tackle all types of game, from the smallest to the largest and most dangerous.

Good points gentlemen, if indeed diameter, weight, construction and momentum didn't matter, then why pray tell are we not punching fortified targets with the feared 17 rimfire gatling guns?

The 50 BMG, 20 and 30mm's are certainly a wasted of powder and lead ;]

Trump Won!