Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by beretzs
The bullet pictured is the 210 Swift Scirocco. Shot was 151 yards give or take a couple steps since I didn’t range prior to the shot. Bullet broke the near side leg on entry and was buried in the hide on the far side behind the front leg. Been shooting BBCs and Swift’s a little more the last few years and they tend to do the same thing, expand wide and wreck everything real decent but they will be found in the far side quite often. I’m okay with that. No animal from either Bullet has wandered more than 25-30 yards. Most are laying right where I hit them.

Not a 338 WM, but a 338-06 question, I shoot 250 gr NPT's and SAF's in my 338 WM, love em, I have a re-bored pre-64 M-70 that was a rusty bored 270 WCF rifle outta Oregon, JES worked his magic on it, it is now a very accurate 338-06 that fires 210 gr partitions to 2800 fps, my 'Smith installed a stainless M-70 trigger and cerakoted all the steel, question is, do You or MuleDeer or any of the other experienced elk hunters think this would make a good backup elk rifle?

I love heavy or even extra heavy for caliber bullets, what I'm reading here is the 210 NPT may be plenty, the rifle in question wears a 3.5-10x40 matte Leupold scope in Leupold DD rings and bases, it all sits nicely bedded in an old Pacific Research stock, and most likely weighs less than 8lbs all up.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry,

I have killed three bull elk with my 338-06, two with the 210 gr Partition at 2800 fps and one with the 185 gr TSX at 2950 fps. All performed the same (as did the 260 gr Partition via 375 H&H, the 225 gr TSX via 35 Whelen and 140 gr TSX via 270 Winchester) so if you like the 210 gr Partition go kill stuff with it.

Thanks Ed, I'll go ahead and use it like I would a 250 NPT or SAF in my 338 WM, hope that little fugger will dig! smile

Trump Won!